Archive for BRIT NERF Home of the British NERF Community
 


       BRIT NERF Forum Index -> Modifications
NewportNerfer113

The RaggedStrike

As some of you canny people may have already guessed, I've been fibbing to you for a little while now.  Several times I've been asked if I've got any projects on the go, and I've said no.  You see I made a silly promise to myself based on the idea of modding a blaster... but rather than make it all shiny, I'd make it not shiny.  If you follow my flawed logic, this also meant not doing the usual rah rah on the forum and discord - but there were several times I may have asked a question or two out of context that left you think... what was that about?  

So I kept quiet.  I don't quite know how I did that, so many times I almost, almost broke and gave in and told you guys. With only one other person as my co-conspirator, and fellow first time flywheel modder L11, I set about jumping into the deep end and upgrading my RapidStrike.  The plan being to reveal the blaster at Bristol Blast 4 (I say reveal, just get it out and start flinging foam).

Here's the only full picture I have of the blaster (there are some other sexy / glamour shots at this link):



As L11 and I were sort of working to the same deadline (BB4), and we were doing our first builds, they do have a similar spec - mainly because we ordered stuff in bulk to save money on postage, etc.

Spec-wise, it goes like this:
3 x Hellcats (there are some diodes on the pusher in here... see my footnote before you start shouting at me for this)
Jodocast Motor Cover
Full 16 AWG rewire throughout
Kill Switch
Voltmeter under the sling mount wired up to the jam door (using a Clockwork Wino voltmeter holder)
BSUK Switches and Switchplate
Torch and 3D Printed Rail holder from BSUK
BSUK Rail to Picatinny (not in the pictures - this is for the action camera mount - used in the BB4 HvZ video)
GavinFuzzy Extended Mag Release
Running on a Graphene 1500mah 3s LiPo

Paint job wise, there isn't much of one.  I pretty much went at the blaster with a wire brush on a dremel and tried my best to ruin it, without ruining it.  Then I splashed Nuln Oil all over it and then used a matt clear coat and scuffed that up a bit.

I had already had the image of the blaster in my head, and this spawned the name The RaggedStrike... because of the camo rags... making these look right was not a fun process.  I took a camo scarf I got from eBay, and after some testing, settled on leaving it in a mix of coffee, tea, Nuln Oil and PVA (I think...) glue.  It then spent 2 days drying out in my shower before I attached them to the blaster.  They've only just started to not stink - after 5 weeks.

Overall, I love the look and the performance.  I had one monster jam on at BB4, and noticed afterwards (and this can be seen on the BB4 HvZ video) that the rags were occasionally getting in the way of the barrel and causing darts to fishtail about, which can be easily fixed.  Looks super cool though, in my opinion.

I also was thinking about posting a rather longer post about the build itself, but we already have so many of those, I'm not sure if it's necessary.  If you guys think it's worth it I'll put the time in... I have oodles of photos and videos of progress, and I'm sure that there is so much I've done wrong or badly that I can either learn from, or show as an example to other noobs of what not to do.

Anyway, I hope I haven't bored you, and you can forgive my secret squirreliness.

Footnote - I went with the current best advice on the forum at the time of pulling the parts and blaster design together... at the time diodes on the pusher were discussed extensively and it was generally agreed that this was the thing to do if you didn't want to create a dart hose.  We know differently now.
Boff

Re: The RaggedStrike

Nice build. I do like the ragged look. It's very much a marked difference from the super-sleek shiny stuff we're used to seeing! Very Happy Even as the one taking your orders, I hadn't put it together that you were on an RS build. Well, I probably did and then promptly forgot because my head is full of far too much stuff....

NewportNerfer113 wrote:

Footnote - I went with the current best advice on the forum at the time of pulling the parts and blaster design together... at the time diodes on the pusher were discussed extensively and it was generally agreed that this was the thing to do if you didn't want to create a dart hose.  We know differently now.


It varies. I still put diodes on my builds because I prefer a touch more cycle control. Yes, the MTB motors have enough torque to not warrant them but I'm an SA guy at heart so I'll diode if I have to because cycle control is king. Or just use a Stryfe... Razz
L11

Ahhhhh the RaggedStrike has had its mask removed and unleashed on the world  (and unsuspecting victims during BB4).

I can finally publicly say how much I love the idea of the ruggedness!

It has been a fun experiment building our RS at the same time, we bounced many an idea of each other.

PS. I love the little details  you added that the pics don't show like carving NN113 into it  Very Happy
Minky

Looks rough, ragged, and ready! Loving the messed up looks. Saw the video with the darts spilling out,  you need to give it a centre parting Smile
UK Foam

Eyyy here is the build!
NewportNerfer113

Been waiting to see if there's any interest. Plus it could turn into a ramble... with a load of pics and very bad, cringe worthy videos to compliment my learning experiences.  Not sure the forum needs to see all that.

       BRIT NERF Forum Index -> Modifications
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum